Tuesday, December 4, 2012

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS

Sometimes holiday traditions just find you. 
 
When Steve and I bought our first home we had no idea that our little neighborhood would be the key to our kicking off our Christmas season. Our city moved it's 'official' Christmas tree into our park, and with it came an incredible tree lighting event. For the last few years It's been our start to the season. 
 
It's nice because it's a free event, there's snow and hot chocolate, trains and hay rides and even Santa! It's usually always cold, so it's a good excuse for us to cuddle and keep each other warm. But most of all it's fun and it gets us all together, without any fuss or stress. Which can be a great way to start what can be known as a 'busy' season...

Today's Reflection:
This year more than ever, I feel at ease about the Holidays. I'd like to make that a new tradition...no fuss or stress. I've really been trying to focus my mind on the true reason we're celebrating. I mean don't get me wrong, I've always stopped and paused and remembered why we celebrate, but this year, I'd like to do more than just remember...i'd like to focus in and live it!
 
It's funny, but when I start to strip away the things that could stress me out, Christmas letters, Holiday parties, money for Christmas presents, Holiday decorations, etc., etc., you're probably familiar with the list or maybe even have your own, but when I start to strip away these things, what could be a bare Christmas ends up becoming quite full.  I'm filling it with new traditions and I'm left focusing on the birth of our King and the love that surrounds that birth. I'm hoping to let that love be the new tradition in my house and that it be the focus this season. It's a nice way for me to kind of put in check the things I do and ask myself, am I doing this for myself or am I doing this because it represents the love God has shown me?
  
"And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them."
-1 John 4: 14-16

1 comment :

  1. seriously your photos are amazing! love your outlook on life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...