Friday, October 26, 2012

BEING AN IMPRESSIVE MOM

It's fun having kids. They're new here. Sometimes I'll pull out some old little trick or game or craft, and they just look at me, like I'm a genius. I'm a pretty impressive mommy...at least in their sweet little new minds I am. Last night I pulled out a classic. Very simple, cost me nothing and if you're striving for a hipper approach, very green! We made milk jug ghosts for the porch. We have a lot of milk jugs in our recycling, it's ridiculous how much milk we drink. Everything else I used was already on hand, black paper, Christmas lights. I was even able to get them involved, I cut the little eyes and mouths out and then Henry would put the face on the jug. Then when we put the lights in them and let those little ghost glow...I think I heard someone gasp in awe (okay, it may have been in me), but still they were pretty impressed...




and now they sit on our little stoop, just waiting to greet little trick or treaters...
I must say...they are Boo-tiful at night! (a-har har)
 
Today's Reflection:
Do you remember in the story of David and Goliath, David is preparing for battle, and he puts on the armor and takes a sword? He takes these items, because well, it's what you would think you'd need when battling a Giant. But then, he realizes he doesn't know how to use these things, and so he removes them. He trades them for what he already has and 5 stones. With that, he completes his mission. With a staff, and a sling and 5 smooth stones, God gives him what he needs. 
 
Sometimes I think I need to have on some pretty cool 'armor' and amazing 'weapons' to be an impressive mother and tackle the Giant of motherhood. I need to be a little craftier than I am, a little smarter, more put together, a little more successful, maybe even a little healthier, etc. etc. These are things that great mothers have...right? But then, I try and it just doesn't work, and then I find stinky milk jugs in my recycling bin, and I do what I can and it works...they love it.
 
5 smooth stones, God doesn't need much, he can make me the mother he needs me to be to my little loves. 5 smooth stones...and I trust in him.
 
"So Saul clothed David with his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head; he also clothed him with a coat of mail. David fastened his sword to his armor and tried to walk, for he had not tested them. And David said to Saul, “I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them.” So David took them off.
Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd’s bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine."
-1 Samuel 17:38-40 (NKJV)

2 comments :

  1. You're an amazing mommy!! I've never seen these milk jug ghosts...I've been missing out. I absolutely loved your reflection today. Such truth that I constantly need to be reminded of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aubrey! I think you're a pretty amazing mommy too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...