Thursday, November 1, 2012

OUR HALLOWEEN

Growing up we always had fun Halloweens. My parents did a lot of work in order to make sure we had a fun night. My mom would help create costumes, my dad would painstakingly build a haunted maze in our front yard. It rubbed off. Yesterday I found myself lovingly putting last minute touches on costumes, making the perfect 'trick or treat' bags for superheroes and having Steve transform our house into a monster...
And of course, it's all worth it, to see my little 'flower' and 'Iron Man' have a fun night...We got to spend the night with some of our favorite people, going trick or treating and then to our church's 'Family Fun Fair'...
And just before our night ended, it rained...
and since everyone knows a 'bee' can't fly in the rain, we headed home. And that was how we spent Halloween...more or less.
 
Today's Reflection:
I have a lot of fun thinking about Halloween. There is not a doubt in my mind where I inherited this enthusiasm for the Holiday. I think I appreciate all the work my parents put into it even more, now that I have kids of my own. One day, my little loves might be doing the same for their kiddies. One day, I'll get to tell them about Halloweens when I was a little girl. 
 
I feel a lesson being learned...sometimes in a world that tries to push the 'don't sweat the small stuff' mentality, you forget, that the little things can make an impact. The little things we do for our kids they can carry with them. Of course I'm not just talking about making costumes or decorating, but also the little pieces of faith and love and truth they see from us. The seeds we plant, they grow and blossom, and spread and from that little seed, you get a field of flowers!
 
"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them."
-Deuteronomy 4:9

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...